Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reward

Okay, so it took me a week, but I have been rewarded for making progress in my craft room.  This week I made two baby blankets for my cousin's shower.  A friend showed me how to make these blankets a few years ago and they have become my favorite baby gift to give.  I think homemade gives a little extra love :)



The day after Thanksgiving our local Joann's fabric store had a great deal on flannel - $1.50/yard.  There was a huge selection and like I mentioned before I have a tendency to buy based on the idea and not so much a specific plan.  In my mind I match the fabrics into adorable blankets, so then I just have to buy the fabric before I even know there is a baby on the way.  As a result I have several sets of flannel stacked in the craft room waiting for babies.

I think this pattern is simple enough I can make it my first tutorial attempt.   Please let me know if you try one, how it turns out and how I could improve my instructions.

First the finished product...




The first step to making the blanket is the fabric choice.  I just look for two patterns that I think are pretty or make a fun combination.  I don't  limit myself to something "babyish" - I like bold colors. There are SO many choices - be creative and enjoy yourself!    The length of fabric I buy depends on the width.  In this case the width was 44" - nice size for a square.  So I purchased 1 1/4 yards (45") of each fabric.  

Let's begin the construction...


Put flannel pieces right (colorful) sides together and pin around the edges.  Be prepared to trim the edges - although it seems like everything should line up perfectly, since they are supposed to be cut to the same size, I find that rarely happens.  

Right sides together. 

I try to line up the salvage edges so I can easily trim them and I don't  have to worry about a little white peeking through an imperfect edge seam later.

My dining room table is conveniently a 42" inch square.  I confess using the edges as a guide made for a simple trimming.  


Trimming finished.


In we go to the sewing table (recently uncovered in the craft room!)  The fabric should be pinned all the way around the edges with the right sides facing each other.  I start with about a 1/2 inch seam all around the edge EXCEPT for a 3 inch opening.   You will use this opening to turn the fabric right side out.  


Sew 1/2 inch seam leaving about a 3 inch opening on one side.  I backstitch on both sides of the opening to reinforce it.
Opening left unstitched for turning fabric right side out.
It seems a bit unlikely that you would be able to turn the entire blanket right side out through this small opening, but it is much easier than it sounds.  Reach in the opening to the far side of the blanket and gently pull the fabric back through the opening.  It may get a little tight - be patient - it will all come through fine bit by bit.  Then suddenly it is done!  


Turning right side out
Keep working it through the opening.
After the entire blanket is turned right side out we are going to put a finishing stitch around the edge.  First be sure the seam lies flat  - it will make for much easier sewing and a nicer finished product.  The fabric tends to bunch up in the corners so  I use a butter knife to reach in and poke them to create nice corners.  Then I iron all around the edge to make a nice flat even edge. 

This time sew a 1/4 inch seam all around the edge of the blanket.  The opening you left earlier will be closed by this seam.   You may find it easier to sew if you pin the opening closed before you start sewing.  


1/4 inch seam around the edge catching the earlier opening closed.
At first I struggled with a nice seam at the corner.  I would lift up the presser foot to turn the fabric and then not be able to get it lined up again - so my seam would end up with a gap in the corner.  I discovered if I could stop at the corner with the needle down through the fabric I could lift the presser foot and turn the fabric with the needle holding my place.  When I begin to sew the next side I have a nice corner seam.    


Finished edge.


So it is as easy as that!  The hardest part is trying to limit buying fabric until you actually have a need for a baby gift. I still have flannel for about 10 more blankets.  My family and friends are going to have to get busy cranking out babies!  I might just have to find a charity that distributes donated baby blankets - that would be a win/win too.


Please let me know if you found this tutorial helpful and if you decide to try it, how your project turns out.


Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment