Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Power of 15!

Several years ago my sister and I discovered The FlyLady.  She has an extensive website with several effective strategies for decluttering your home and breaking up housekeeping into manageable tasks.  I won't go into all the details, but I would encourage you to check out her website if you are overwhelmed by the chaos of your home.  "Baby steps" she says and if you stick with her easy strategies I think you will be amazed at the difference it will make in your life.  

www.flylady.net 


Although it has been years since I really "worked her program", several of her strategies are still ingrained in my head.  One in particular is the principle that "anyone can do anything for 15 minutes." All you need is a basic kitchen timer.  Set it for 15 minutes and get started.  I am always amazed at how much I can get done when I know the time is limited - I get very focused and work much more quickly than normal.  



One look at my craft room tells me it is going to take a "few" 15 Minutes.   Let me share the results of the first two sessions.

First 15 Minute Session.  I am posting two views of the room with a before/after of each view.


Before - View 1
After - View 1


Before - View 2
After - View 2

Obviously there is much to do, but 15 minutes at a time is very manageable.  I am very encouraged to continue when I see how much I got done in a little amount of time.  Many times I get so engaged I can't stop at 15 minutes, but I know I am free to stop anytime after the timer goes off so I feel much more in control.  


This second 15 minute session reminded me how much neater a home would be if things were just put back in their proper place.  The cabinet in the craft room is a ginormous clutter catcher.  I am constantly dumping stuff there...as you can clearly see.  But a focused 15 minutes of putting stuff away made a huge difference (see above for before).   Judge for yourself.




So in just 30 minutes the room has gone from completely unusable to space where I can reward myself with doing something I love...did you notice I have a sewing table??!!   Baby blankets for my cousin's shower next week....

 Anna

  



                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment