Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's working!

My plan is actually working.  I wanted to have a space where things were easily accessible for my impromptu crafting sessions.  My 9 year-old niece LOVES crafts and is always begging to do something.  So many times I have put her off (and felt guilty) because I didn't have the energy to think of something, dig it out, clear a spot to do it then clean it up again.   We have had her over twice this week and have done two different projects.  


Project 1 - Painting Wooden Christmas Ornaments

A couple of the plain wooden ornaments I had bought this year (impulse buy when I was at the store for fabric) and a few have been stuffed in a drawer for the past couple of years waiting to be painted.  Since I already had a drawer full of craft paints no additional purchases were needed for a fun evening of painting together.  Check out our masterpieces.... 

My niece's masterpiece - a gingerbread astronaut.
My husband's pretty penguin - now I have to find a tummy picture!
Christmas Kitty by me
It was a fun evening of making ornaments as well as memories.  I am happy to report these ornaments are now all tucked away with the rest of the Christmas ornaments.  I am a bit embarrassed to say the Christmas tree was just taken down today...I am a Christmas ornament fanatic and hate to have to put them away and not see them for months.  


Project 2 - Hand Warmers


Found this idea on Pinterest.  Fabric hearts filled with rice.  Heat in microwave for 20 seconds and put in your pockets to keep winter fingers warm.  I thought this would be a good use for some of my flannel leftovers from the baby blankets (see Jan. 8 post).  My niece saw one I had made and wanted us to make more.  We had a good time picking out flannel and sewing up the toasty little hearts.


Fronts


Backs
They are very simple to make.  Put two pieces of flannel wrong sides together and cut out the heart shape (I used a cookie cutter as the pattern).  Sew around the edge leaving a small opening to fill heart with rice.  Then sew up the opening.


A small funnel makes stuffing much easier!
This organizing adventure is inspirational.  I actually see what I have and get ideas of what to do with it. Then, of course, having a neat space to do it makes the whole process much more relaxing!  On a related note...I organized the pantry cabinet and found two products I'd bought to try, but forgot I had.  A delicious General Tso's sauce and a Hawaiian cheese ball mix...unfortunately neither are in the stores anymore, but we did enjoy them.  Note to self...try things sooner so if we like them we can buy more (and actually remember where I bought them!) 

I'd love to hear stories of projects you have completed from your own stash.

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment