Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Temptation

I get an hour for lunch and often run errands.  Today I didn't have anything particular I needed to do, but I still wanted to get out of the office.  I am going to tell you that I only went "there" to look for something for my mother-in-law, but let's face it I just wanted to go.  Where?  The local craft store.  They do have a large cake/candy decorating section so my excuse could be plausible - my mother-in-law put me on the lookout for raspberry oil for candy making.  For the record the store didn't have any flavoring oils.

Since I had plenty of time...


I noticed they had a good scrapbook paper sale. 




I love all the colors and patterns.  And one can never have too much scrapbook paper, right?  Wrong!  I am sure I already have more than enough for 20 scrapbooks.  And the last time I scrapbooked was when?  I have no idea...a conservative estimate would be...years!!



Well, since I have thousands of pictures (most live in digital land, but I do have boxes of prints from the 35mm days) and plenty of scrapbooking supplies...maybe I will check out picture frames.  Oh good...another sale...

 
But then I remember this...



The empty frames already hanging on the wall and the numerous other empty frames (single picture and collage) waiting to be filled and hung.  Perhaps lack of frames is NOT the problem.

I can't help but check out the bargain bins.  I noticed cute little journals.  Since the "A" didn't come in the color/pattern I wanted (see "L") I was able to walk away.  I even checked for my last initial...but it must be an even more popular letter because they didn't have it at all.  If only that "L" had been an "A" I might not have been able to walk away.  


It wouldn't be bad to peruse the wedding supplies aisle.  Turns out since I just got married 4 months ago it wasn't really a temptation...so why I am even looking?



Back to the baking aisle instead.  I am thinking about making "conversation heart" sugar cookies.  My cousin made some yummy and so-cute cookies for the baby shower I went to a couple of weeks ago.  I have never been able to get the same look for my icing.  I now have her recipe and it calls for meringue powder. 




They had it, but since it was $5.29 for the smallest can I thought I should check with my coupon-loving sister to see if she has one of their frequent 50% off coupons.

I couldn't help but notice all the adorable cupcake liners...I talked myself out of buying any, but they were so cute.  Maybe next time?  Maybe when I have a reason to make cupcakes?  I am working on buying only for a current project.  For example, it is so-and-so's birthday and I am making cupcakes...how about some cute cupcake liners?  So for now, I walked away.




Fact is, today I left the store with NOTHING!  I know it sounds a lot like bragging...but I think it is okay to be proud of this accomplishment.  The craftroom project is driving home the point that I have heaps of supplies that I have never touched...I am embarrassed at how much money I have wasted.  Maybe I didn't improve the craftroom today, but today I did succeed in not adding to the problem...that IS an accomplishment and I AM proud of that.


Are you an impulse buyer?  


Anna





2 comments:

  1. Asking if I'm an impulsive buyer is like asking if the the sky is blue. Definitely not an impulse buyer at the craft store, although those cupcake liners look pretty darn cute, you know how I am with shoes. Good job at not buying anything - glad you are sticking to your goal! Love the posts - great pictures and storyline. I need to get going on posting pictures to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I am having fun doing projects again and writing the posts. It is good to know that someone is reading them :)

      Delete